Saturday, May 26, 2012

Happy Birthday to me, Dairy-Free!


Milk... Is it REALLY good for the Body?


I've never been able to eat dairy, but, unfortunately, I didn't discover this until I was in college. I remember in childhood how I cramped and cried while counting the bathroom tiles or finding pictures in them. Worse, I didn't know what was growing out of my behind... was it a tail? I was too afraid to ask anyone. (I wouldn't know what a hemorrhoid was until years later when I became pregnant, and the doctor told me). Birthday parties were a nightmare for my stomach--the combination of cake, ice cream and potato chips killed me. White flour, Crisco icing with cups of sugar, dairy with more sugar, and chips that cause gas put me right back in the bathroom crying. By high school I knew something was wrong with me. This could not be normal... having hemorrhoids as a child was not normal. So my mother took me to a gastroenterologist. He promptly took me aside, told me it was her fault for nagging me, and put me on Librax. Unbelievable. When I told mom, she was not happy! The Librax helped with the cramping, but only hid the real problem. I began to wonder if I had Crohn's Disease, like my sister's friend. Eventually someone mentioned to me that I should eliminate milk products. Hallelujah!

Somehow, though, I never put cheese in the category of foods to avoid. I mean I knew it was a dairy product, but I guess I was in denial--not cheese... I love cheese! Recently I came to the realization that it is indeed a member of the evil dairy family. I still eat Pizza sometimes, but I know I'll pay for it later. I've learned to order my quesadilla without cheese. sigh. I tried Lactose-free products, but it did not help me. My youngest son began having problems with his stomach. I told him to leave off dairy and he said it helped him. Recently I found out that some people are allergic to milk protein. This can lead to eczema, hives or serious damage to the digestive tract. My cousin started having the same problems as she passed puberty. I found out that my grandpa had severe stomach problems, my aunt and my older sister are also intolerant to dairy, so this is probably hereditary.


Enter RICE MILK, ALMOND MILK, and COCONUT milk on the market. Now I can have cereal and ICE CREAM products made from these alternative milks for the first time in years. YAY!!! Thank you, SO DELICIOUS brand, you've made me so happy, and my stomach is ecstatic! (FYI, I am not getting paid by them).


People think that milk is essential for obtaining calcium, but the protein in milk can cause a greater loss in calcium and can lead to osteoporosis. You can get enough calcium by eating green vegetables such as broccoli, drinking orange juice that has extra calcium added, or even by eating antacids such as Tums. Studies are now showing that dairy sensitivity is a factor in ADD/ADHD and has been proven to be present in children with childhood diabetes. Some believe that autism is linked to food allergies, indicating an intolerance to casein in milk! If you can digest milk products, you are lucky indeed. If you or your child exhibit any of these symptoms, please consider eliminating it from your diet and see if those problems disappear.


Symptoms

No comments:

Post a Comment